Consultant General – Liver / Pancreas (HPB)/ Transplantation Surgery and Surgical Oncology. Advanced Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon.
PhD University of Athens
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
Fellow of the (American) Society of Surgical Oncology
Member of the European Surgical Oncology
Professor of Surgery, University of Nicosia
Experienced in New techniques and introduced and use of New technology in Surgical Oncology, Liver and Pancreas Surgery, Surgical ICU Specialist. Transplantation Surgery experience. (Staff Surgeon in Paraskevaidion & Transplant Center 1992-1995).
Multi-years experience (23) in the Cyprus Ministry of Health – Nicosia General Hospital and Larnaca General Hospital – with last position being the Director/Chairman of the Department of Surgery. Development of Liver Tumor destruction (Radiofrequency Ablation-RFA) program on a national basis(2004-2012) – One of the pioneers in the development and establishment of Liver and Pancreas Surgery in Nicosia General Hospital / Cyprus. One of the two Surgeons who performed the first Pancreatic Resection for Cancer in Cyprus ( Whipples’ procedure on June 1992)
Teaching and training experience with Surgical Residents, Junior Doctors and Medical Students. National Representative of Cyprus in European Union in Organ Donation and Transplantation (2010-2017).
Former President of the Cyprus Surgical Society (2010-2012).
Extensive and continuous training and learning in hospitals in the USA and UK.
- Cholocystectomy (Laparoscopic) and Biliary Procedures
- Bile Duct Injuries Recostruction
- Acute Pancreatitis./Necrotizing Pancreatitis
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Acute Diverticulitis and Inflammatory Bowel Diseases IBD (Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns Disease), FAP/ Total Colectomies and Ileo – Anal J Poutch.
- Small Bowell and Colon Resection.
- Reversion of Ileostomy and Colostomy
- Splenectomy (Open or Laparoscopic)
- Acute Abdomen & Peritonitis
(Acute Appenticitis, Perforating Gastroduodenal Ulcer, The Difficult Duodenum, Perforated small bowel and colon/ Abdominal Catastrophe)
- Benign Liver Diseases ( Echinococcus, Liver Cyst, Adenomas, Cirrhosis,,,Liver Biopsy Open, Laparoscopic and Percutaneous)
- Portal Hypertension Surgery / Bleeding Oesophageal Varices
- Complex Oncology Cases & Re-Operation Abdominal Surgery
- Abdominal wall Hernias (Open/ Laparoscopic)
- Endocrine Surgery (nerve stimulator assisting thyroidectomy, Thyroid Cancer, large retrosternal thyroid goitter resection, parathyroidectomy, large Adrenal tumors resection/enblock), Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy
Hemorroids and Rectal Prolapse (HAL&RAR procedure), Difficult and Complex fistulas in ano., Pilonidal Sinus
- Fissure in Ano. Lateral Partial Sphinctirotomy (Notaras’ Procedure)
- Anal Sphincter reconstruction
- Surgical Oncology
- Major Liver and Pancreas Resection ,(Primary and Metastatic Liver Tumor , Cholangiocarcinoma, /Rt & Left Hepatectomy, Metastasectomy
- Laparoscopic Liver Resection/ Liver Cyst
- Pancreatic Cancer/ Tumor/ Insulinomas. (Pancreaticoduodenectomy/ Whipples’ Procedure, Total Pancreatectomy, Distal Pancreatectomy (Open or Laparoscopic)
- Ampulectomy of Tumor/Cancer of Ampula of Vater
Radiofrequency Ablation – RFA ( Percutaneous, Laparoscopic, Intra-operative) and Naniknife treatment /Destruction of Liver and Pancreas Tumors (Unresectable and locally Advanced).
- Oesophago-gastrectomies ( Ivor Lewis procedure and Transhiatal Resections, Billroth II, Total Gastrectomies), for Gastric & Oesophageal Cancer ,
- GIST ( Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) Management /Resections
- Advanced Colorectal Surgery/ Colectomies and Sphincter Preserving Procedures for low Rectal Cancer and Inflamatory Bowel Diseases( Ulcerative Colitis , Crohns Disease, FAP)., Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Sarcoma / Retro-Peritoneal Tumors,
- Melanoma Resection and Radical Lymph Nodes Groin Dissections,
- Performance of HIPEC (Hyperthermic Intra-Peritoneal Chemotherapy) Surgery-the first reported case in Cyprus with Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. Peritonectomy, Abdominal Carcinomatosis. And Ovarian Cancer ( in co- operation with Gynecologist).
- Breast Cancer Surgery.( Sentinel Lymph Node, lumpectomy, Types of Mastectomy with or without Axillary Clearance or Sampling), Breast Reconstruction (in co operation with Plastic Surgeon)
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) Specialist and Trauma Surgery and Open Abdomen Management
Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Lap. Cholecystectomies, Laparoscopic Appendicectomies
- Foregut Surgery(Obesity, GERD, Achalasia)
- Bariatric (Morbid Obesity ) Surgery. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (The Largest program in Cyprus from 2013-2017
- Gastroisophageal Reflex (GERD)and Hiatus Hernia – Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication
- Achalasia – Laparoscopy Heller Myotomy and Dorr Fundoplication,
- Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernias,( TEP, TAPP),Sportmans/athlets Hernia, Incissional,Hernia,
- Laparoscopic Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Spleenectomy and Laparoscopic Adrenalectomies,
- Laparoscopic Colectomies (Right, Sigmoidectomies, Low Anterior Resection, and the first in Cyprus reported Laparoscopic Total Colectomies with J-Pouch (3 cases with FAP Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)
Dr Panayiotis Hadjicostas, MD, PhD, FACS